Federal Student Aid

Federal Student Aid Programs available for enrollment at ECC:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • Federal Work-Study

General Eligibility Requirements for Federal student aid programs:

  • ALL require the FAFSA® (https://fafsa.gov). Applicants must have a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) to sign electronically. Alternatively, applicants can download and file a paper version, if desired, though submission of a paper FAFSA® will take longer to process.
  • Applicants must demonstrate financial need for Federal student aid.
  • Applicants must be U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens; have a valid Social Security number (except for students from the Republic of Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or Republic of Palau); be registered with Selective Service, if male and between ages 18-25).
  • Applicants must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program; and maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • Applicants must sign the certification statement on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) stating they are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant and will use federal student aid only for educational purposes; and
  • Applicants must show they are qualified to obtain a college education by having a high school diploma or recognized equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate; or completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law (or—if state law does not require a homeschooled student to obtain a completion credential—completing a high school education in a homeschool setting that qualifies as an exemption from compulsory attendance requirements under state law); or enrolling in an eligible career pathway program and meeting one of the "ability-to-benefit" alternatives.

Additional Federal Student Aid Eligibilities:

  • Green card – Applicant is eligible if they have Form I-551, I-151, or I-551C – also known as a “green card” – showing applicant is a US permanent resident.
  • Arrival-departure record – Applicant’s Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services must show one of the following: Refugee; Asylum Granted; Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status pending); Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980); Parolee.
  • Battered immigrant status – Applicant is designated a “battered immigrant-qualified alien” being a victim of abuse by citizen or permanent resident spouse, or the child of a person designated as such under the Violence Against Women Act.
  •  T visa – Applicant holds T-visa or a parent with a T-1 visa.

The US Department of Education provides guidance (including multi-media content) on how to create a Federal Student Aid ID and how to complete the FAFSA®: https://studentaid.gov/sa/resources (Spanish content available).