Guidelines for academic progress and good academic standing include the following:
- Good academic standing is defined as a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or above. Students are advised that they must attain an overall GPA of 2.0 or above to graduate from ECC’s degree or certification programs.
- Probation is defined as a cumulative combined GPA of less than 2.0. A student whose cumulative combined GPA goes below 2.0 is placed on academic probation.
- Conditional Probation is defined as a cumulative GPA of less than a 2.0 followed immediately by an academic period GPA of 2.0 or higher, but with the resulting new cumulative GPA still less than 2.0.
- Suspension (for one academic period) occurs when a student with a cumulative combined GPA of less than 2.0 earns a GPA of less than 2.0 in a successive term. A student who is suspended may appeal for reinstatement or may remain suspended for 1 academic period. A previously suspended student who attains a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 will be dismissed.
- Dismissal from ECC occurs for 2 years when a student who after suspension achieves an academic period GPA of less than 2.0.
Students are responsible for ensuring that they complete all requirements of their degrees and certificates listed in the departmental handouts and the official College catalog. Students on Probation, Suspension, or Dismissal must get approval from a Counselor before registering for classes.
Financial Aid Students: Visit our website at http://www.essex.edu/academic/finaid/academic.progress.html to review the Academic Progress Policy for students receiving financial aid.