Transfer Credit

Credits transferred from other regionally accredited colleges and universities may be included in the total numbers of credits earned at ECC. In order to transfer, such credit must be related to courses and programs offered by ECC. Courses transferred from other institution of higher learning must carry the grade of “C” or higher. Grades of “D” may be accepted for transfer from NJ public colleges and universities in non-major course categories unless if a “C” grade is prerequisite for other required course(s). To graduate, transfer students must complete a minimum half of their major requirements and half their degree or certificate requirements at ECC. Credits from institutions not accredited by regional accredited agencies (e.g. Middle States) may not be accepted.

As courses at ECC are regarded as equivalent courses at other colleges and universities, such courses from other institutions, within specified criteria, shall be regarded as potentially transferable to ECC.  All decisions with respect to transfer into ECC shall be based on the principle of equivalence of expectations and requirements for native and transfer students.  Students who wish to transfer credits may be granted up to half the credits for their Associate degree or certificate, usually 30 and 15 credits respectively.  Acceptance of transfer credits may exempt students from placement testing and/or from certain courses.

Most academic credits submitted from regionally accredited two- or four-year institutions of post-secondary education are accepted.  However, not all credits are applicable toward all majors nor all program requirements.  Generally, within specified criteria, credits should transfer seamlessly between institutions granted regional/institutional accreditation by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).  Credit from institutions with other than regional accreditation is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.  Credits from courses that are equivalent to or exceed requirements for ECC comparable requirements will generally be accepted. 

As a general principle, in accord with the NJ Comprehensive State-Wide Transfer Agreement, credits earned at a NJ community college that are approved and applicable under respective general education categories as listed under the State-Wide General Education Course Equivalencies, shall potentially be transferable to ECC toward an Associate degree or certificate and applicable to fulfill corresponding general education and other requirements at ECC.  To determine which courses from NJ colleges and universities may meet transfer requirements, see NJ Transfer (  Credit may also be granted after review of selected Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education and Support (DANTES) records.  Credits from international academic institutions may, within specified criteria, also be accepted after review from a recognized international academic credential evaluation organization, such as World Education Services, Inc. (  Developmental courses are generally considered non-transferable.

While transfer credits will appear on official academic transcripts, they are not calculated into the ECC grade point average.  This permits students to start fresh and establish a new grade point average.  However, grades received in transferred credits can be used to determine admission to certain programs and for certain other conditions of eligibility and recognition.

Credits from courses that are equivalent to or exceed requirements for ECC comparable requirements will generally be accepted.  For example, a 4 credit course can be used to satisfy a 3 credit requirement, but not necessarily the reverse; or, three 1 credit courses can be used to satisfy a 3 credit free elective.  All 100- to 400-level courses at two-year or four-year institutions that deal with the same subject matter can be accepted as equivalent to corresponding 100- and 200-level courses at ECC.  Although by definition, 300- and 400-level courses at four-year institutions may not necessarily have course equivalents at community colleges, the reverse is not necessarily true.  Courses without an exact ECC equivalent may also transfer with a 999 designation; but credits can be designated to fit more specific degree requirements if the academic unit considers it appropriate.  English literature courses, for example, are potentially general education literature courses whether the home institution designates it as a 100- or 400-level course or even, perhaps if not as an English course per se.